As an ADD crafter, I often run into the problem of having too many ideas. Something will catch my eye and I will think of a ton of different things I can do with it to change it or make it better. If you take a look in my Etsy shop or my booth at a Farmer's Market, you will see that I have an assortment of different handmade items, all crammed into one little space--Felted Baby Booties right next to Hmong Key Chains which are right next to Silk Wrapped Chopstick Hair Sticks.
I constantly have friends, family and perfect strangers ask me how I've come up with an idea for something and I can usually tell them exactly when and where my inspiration for a particular project came from. If you happen to be one of those individuals who often gets "crafter's block," check out a few different tips and ideas I've come up with on how to get those creative juices flowing:
1) My number one rule: Always carry a small notebook and a pen with you everywhere you go. If you're out and about and see something that inspires you, write it down. If you don't write an idea down, the idea will pass and will no longer be your inspiration. But by writing it down, you're embedding that idea in your brain and you'll actually continue to think about it whether you're aware of it or not.
2) Always be on the look-out for things that catch your eye--whether it's a pretty flower in your backyard or a beautiful piece of cloth you see at a local market. Look for different color combinations or unique textures that you think are interesting and photograph them, make a sketch or write it down. Later on, you might see something at the grocery store that reminds you of that particular item and chances are you'll come up with an idea on how to incorporate it into your next big project.
3) If you see something that you think is pretty, unique or different, buy it or jot down the idea. If you see any sort of potential in it, chances are, someone else is going to think it's pretty neat too! I always make items that I use myself or would like to receive as a gift, which adds that personal touch to the item. Are you trying to live a more "sustainable" lifestyle to help preserve our environment? Try making something that helps you reach that goal on a personal level--more than likely someone else will appreciate your efforts and will be interested in trying out your new item.
4) Don't be afraid to try new crafts and methods. As someone who is always willing to try a new craft at least once, I have found that I can actually inspire myself by trying a craft I've never done before. A couple years ago, I had never even picked up knitting needles. Today, I sell Felted Baby Booties that I hand-knit and felt myself, along with a handful of other unique hand-knitted items I make. You never know if you're good at something until you try it, and more than that, you can actually take the inspiration from one craft and cross it over into another.
5) Do your research--know your items. I travel quite a bit and I always buy unique, unusual items and materials that I bring home and use in my projects. More often than not, I purchase something that I think is beautiful and inspiring, but I have no idea what the background is for the item. On a recent trip to Thailand, I purchased some amazing antique material called "Burmese Longyi." I had no idea what this meant, but the material was so beautiful, I bought it anyway. When I got home, I looked it up on the internet and found out it was actually a piece of clothing that Burmese men and women have traditionally worn wrapped around the waist. Now I have some beautiful clutches featured in my Etsy shop made out of the antique woven silk and I have a story to go with it! Always know the background, the story, or the history behind something you make because you end up selling that story along with your item.
To sum it up, always keep your eyes open for a glimpse of inspiration. You never know where you might see something that sparks an idea! And always, always write down your ideas. Two years down the road you might be flipping through that little notebook and you might be reminded of an idea you had that you never got around to trying. It just might be the grand idea you've been waiting for!
I love this post, Michelle! You are so creative!
ReplyDelete