MISC Root does custom orders! See something you like, but want to change the color or design? Send me a message at root.michelle@gmail.com
& I'll create something just for you!

Monday, May 9, 2011

Confessions of a Craftaholic: Staying Focused

In true ADD crafter form, I have not blogged in two weeks. So, in honor of my lack of focus and dedication to self-promotion, I will offer a brief lecture (mostly to myself) on the power of staying focused.

If anyone is as scattered with their crafting and self-promoting tasks as I am, I'd like to say this: TRY, try to stay focused on one thing at a time.  With that said, I fully understand that there are way more tasks in your brain, and possibly, on your "To Do" list, than what you can reasonably accomplish in one day. This is why we must prioritize.

I struggle on a daily basis with balancing my product development, aka crafting projects, with the necessary tasks of promoting and marketing those items I put so much time and care into making. If only I had someone telling me, "Michelle, after you finish those ten pairs of Baby Booties, you need to write a blog entry and then post it to facebook." My life would be much less chaotic and run so much more smoothly!

Instead, I make a pair of Baby Booties, then play around on Etsy for a while, then decide to start a NEW felting project--how about some decorative felted bowls! Wait, back to the Baby Booties...

I will keep it short and sweet: Stay focused. Make a "To Do" list and stick to it. Set daily goals for tasks that you want/need to accomplish in a day. Get in a routine for those daily tasks that you know you must do everyday.

I now keep a sticky note plastered to my laptop that tells me the four things I must do everyday, and each morning, I do those four things very first and get them out of the way for the day. Then I start working on my "To Do" list that changes day-to-day, depending on what items I've sold and need to replenish. I also set goals for the items that I need to make within a one-week period of time and when I finish those items, I allow myself to work on something new.

For all you crafty, unfocused individuals out there--there is hope! Find a system that works for you and stick to it. Now back to those Baby Booties...

4 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, you sound just like me! I have so many projects and not enough time to spend on the business end of things, especially marketing. I like your list of four things though, that seems manageable.

    ~jennifer
    www.tudordesigns.etsy.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to keep it realistic : ) You never know what your day is going to throw at you, so best to keep it simple!

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha! I am totally an A.D.D. Estian as well! I'm the type of person who has to work on 5 things at once, jumping from project to project. I find it easier for me to concentrate if I write down goals on my calander for each day and just make sure i meet those goals!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this post. Here I am reading blogs, hopping back to Etsy to check out shops and I've got a couple Friday deadlines (2 days left) looming. What am I doing? And, just who do I think is going to finish up the orders for Friday?

    Thanks for the reminder to focus, focus, focus!

    ReplyDelete